Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
--Jeremiah 15:16

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Flames


Winter Flames
Down to the frozen pond
they all begin to gather
blades slung over shoulders
all smiles and busy chatter

tucking long coats and dresses
as they sit to lace and tie
surveying for a moment
before they begin to fly

upon liquid layers of frozen glass
with snow encrusted trim
sparkling diamond hems
over frozen bubbles spin

steel blades etch and carve
cryptic stories in the ice
swirling arches of crystal writing
created by each slice

while on the bank a fire crackles
atop the snow and leaves
thawing frosty fingers
as more wood upon is heaved

orange sparks float up
and dance wildly upon the cold
while in the distance sweetheart skaters
are warmed by the hand they hold

© Copyright 2011 Christine Maxwell

16 comments:

  1. "..as they sit to lace and tie
    surveying for a moment, before they begin to fly.." You have somehow caught the photographic mood with these words. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you give the 'steel blades' a way to write their untold stories on the ice ... very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much lovely imagination here..I could follow every swirl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have turned Willow's photo prompt into a magical fairy tale ... wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightfully done.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Magical lands of dreams gone by, tales etched in the glasslike surfaces of tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost like two skates taking turns to slide,
    today's poetic offering goes from side to side...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really Nice! brought me right to the scene- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweetheart skaters
    are warmed by the hand they hold

    I can think of nothng nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I am so blessed by all the wonderful comments here! I thought for sure this was one of my weaker pieces since I am babysitting my 2 year old great niece this week I didn't have the time to devote to this that I would have normally. I guess perhaps this means that I should not edit and refine as much as I do...maybe just go with what flies out of my head? Well she returns to her mother tomorrow evening so I hope to be able to read others' entries and begin commenting on those...I am so grateful to Tess for providing such inspiration during such a mundane period of my life and to all of you for bringing my words to life by reading them and commenting on them! Truly cathartic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chris,

    I just grabbed my favorite mug and filled it to the brim with a special tea blended especially by me for me - a mixture predominantly peach, but with spices, orange and lemon peal, roasted chicory, then the flavors of black cherry and strawberry leaves added with a bit of chai latte to round off the taste. I went to your blog, ‘My life and stuff and junk’ to sit and visit with you for awhile.

    I have missed your writing. Turning my attention first to ‘Winter Flames', I was - as always - impressed. Infact, even though I hate and I mean hate the cold; for a short time, I wanted to don a pair of steel blades to etch my story into the ice. Then reality began to get the best of me and I hurried to the crackling fire to warm myself. Finally, I decided to simply enjoy the picture you painted with your lovely poem from the safe, warm distance of my kitchen and leave the skating to those younger and more warm blooded than my self. But, thank you for the short trip out onto the ice

    ReplyDelete