Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
--Jeremiah 15:16

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

School Yard Rules


Ignore the bully and it will go away
snow-topped steps unmarred by children
in protest of winter's stay

no snowmen standing proud and tall
no boots all clumped with snow
no angels painted on the lawn
from tiny bodies on the go

inside; blanket forts
beyond painted brick and lumber,
children settle down
to take their noon-time slumber

tomato soup and warm grilled cheese
story time and books
laughter over silly jokes
give heed to warning looks

coloring and playing checkers
outside; cold's redundant treasure
no attention is paid to that,
which once held so much pleasure

yet still a hopeful bird
calls for spring's release
and across the river
the church bells echo
as if timing winter's fleece

upon it's 1st arrival
we beg winter for it's best
but then in dreary slumber
it stretches past welcomed guest

taking over all our lives
it becomes rude and overbearing
we beg for it to leave
yet it just doesn't seem to be hearing

so we do what we've been taught
ignore the bully and it will go
but what's that outside I see?
MORE freshly fallen snow?!

© Copyright 2011 Christine Maxwell

10 comments:

  1. Bah, humbug to Winter, the bully; hurry up Spring! When I was younger, I just couldn’t understand why so many of the older people left our beautiful New England to move down south. But now I fully understand.

    Yes, Chris, Winter in his dreary slumber stretches past welcomed guest - WAY PAST. He does take over our lives holding us captive to his whims. He is rude and overbearing and I beg for him to leave. I have long ago cried out Uncle to him, but to no avail. He simply ignores my pleas for mercy and keeps on pelting the air with his frosty breath making day after day hostile and uninviting, forbidding me to come forth from my prison cell. Winter is not for me, but for the younger ones who can stand the icy chill, who still have the muscle power to fight the bully called Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the church bells echo
    as if timing winter's fleece

    Time it disappeared, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nearby church bells were chiming when I snapped this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story in your Profile is so sad. I am so sorry. I guess you needed courage to write this poem, centered as it is on childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy thank you it's no so much that it takes courage to remember all the good times with my boys or dream about the "would have been" memories with my Isaiah... it is the coming back from those memories and dreams that takes the true courage. But the pain is less and less as the transition becomes more of the normalcy. Plus I have super duper young men now... who I LOVE to spend time with. I am truly very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it does feel like a bully right now. I love the grill cheese and tomatoe soup YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely piece, touching heartstrings... with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like the last dozen lines. They could stand alone as a fine poem...though I also like the references to the church bells and the snow angels and the tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. perfect rhymes, well done magpie.
    send you love and peace.
    keep shining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings, how are you?
    Write a free verse 4 Poets Rally, enjoy poetic friends, you are invited!

    Hope to see you in,

    Love your poetry talent and looking forward to a profound experience with your input.

    Cheers.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete