Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
--Jeremiah 15:16

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

BRICK by BRICK

Sshh...listen freedom's calling
Give way to grace
bricks are falling
my walls are coming down

the corners break, the mortar crumbles
laws writ in stone
the heavens rumble
once stone cold, now beating flesh
grace carves my heart
blood pours out fresh
my walls are coming down

brick by brick I built my wall
he chiseled through
my name, His call
once captive behind my sin and fears
He shook the earth
He wiped my tears
my walls are coming down

A prisoner; I step beyond the walls
my chains are loosed
my Savior calls
I reach for Him, hungry, thirsty and tired
He lifts me up
out of rubble and fire
my walls are coming down

He carries me; I'm heaven bound
once trapped and lost
now forever found
my walls they all came down


© Copyright 2011 Christine Maxwell

10 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the first three verses-
    lovely flow. Surrender is hard but worthwhile
    gratitude is ongoing; no matter our concept of
    who was responsible for salvation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good when those walls come down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so lovely when the walls are down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A comforting read. How I've needed a mallet from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. brick by brick I built my wall
    he chiseled through
    my name, His call..

    love it, an invisible wall is horrible ...
    beautiful poetry, smart tale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, what can I say?; only one word, "beautiful"; to say more simply detracts! Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful... I've def. had walls that were up/are up and He's workin' on me. :P

    ReplyDelete