Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
--Jeremiah 15:16

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Fruit of the Misunderstood...Magpie 22


Born from the earth and ripened on the vine, your fleshy internal segments, envelope your watery matrix. Contained within it, your slippery seeds which fall upon the earth. They tuck into your native South American land, from whose rich soil, you were birthed.

A Cortez discovery, in Montezuma’s garden, no longer a hidden treasure.
Your harvested seeds taken to a new land and planted there you rise suspiciously in your foreign home. Out of the European soil your stems and leaves reach...dense with their glandular-hair...like sprawling arms out-stretched, from which your sprouting berries hang.

You were erroneously defined by your botanical beauty...a poisonous child of the night shade clan. Judged on your bright and shiny appearance. Judged on your herbaceous heritage. Your ornamental curiosities, thought not for consumption.

The tragedy of the lost years...you were not received and devoured...not welcomed to their banquet tables. Recognized only for your outward beauty, they denied their palettes of your wonder.

They picked you not ripe from the vine. They tasted not the sun's warmth bathed within your flesh. They tempered not your acidity and bitterness with the flame's heat, to seduce your subtle sweetness.

Rather their ignorant tongues sprouted warnings of danger, mistaking you for the poisonous wolf-peach. Tintilating tales emerged from their lips, of your aphrodisiacal powers.

Pommes d'amour, love apples...pomi d'oro, yellow apples, oh the names you have been called. The fear you have instilled, the tales you have evoked, the passions you have exploited, ovarian fruit hanging heavy on the vine.

Your inner beauty deliciously discovered, through time and understanding.
Join us now at our table we are privileged to welcome you.

© Copyright 2010 Christine Maxwell
All rights reserved

16 comments:

  1. Chris, How completely delectable - the history of the tomato in the beauty of poetry! The tomato’s history with its potential stagnated for centuries through ignorance and fear at once becomes an image of all prejudices - everyone suffers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I can say is....WOW!
    loved it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken a tomato and turned it into a Magpie of epic proportion! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. from the simple tomato comes a delectable feast of words! Fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wonderful history of th magical fruit...always welcome at my table. wonderful magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece.... all those years people did not know the pleasure of his wonderful fruit...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissy,
    I was so so touched by your comment on our blog. I cannot imagine losing a precious son like you did with isaiah. You sound like you are filled with faith...the kind of faith to get you through one of life's hardest and saddest times. I'll be praying for you every day. Much love to you.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. On the hardest days I watch this video and even though I cry like a baby it gives me hope and helps me to keep on going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nczw6xHJ0I

    ReplyDelete
  9. Historical classic Magpie..great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys this is only my 2nd week of submitting Magpies! Though I must confess I have been practicing on previous expired ones...this has been such great fun! As I wrote this piece I really couldn't help but imagine all the relationships we have denied ourselves in times gone by and even now because of what we think we know about someone or a culture, or because we surmise by appearance, or because we are afraid. This poem really became so much more to me than just about tomatoes...it defines all of us at one time or another and often times we are/were the tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely wonderful history and botany lesson. Great Magpie! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You left me speechless! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sue J and RA! This was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. rich lists,
    tomatoes are best fruits and very healthy vegetables.

    ReplyDelete